This salad packs an incredible number of superfoods into one delicious, flavorful punch. Although completely vegan and gluten-free, an impressive amount of protein (17g!) is provided via the quinoa, almonds, and edamame, along with a generous helping of fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and nutrients from the combination of veggies, fruit, grains, nuts, and herbs.
It is easy to swap out ingredients for what you have on hand. For example, you could omit the spicy ginger or replace it with dried apricot or mango. You could use any type of nut, including walnuts or peanuts. There are endless variations of this salad, so feel free to mix it up, depending on your pantry stock and cravings!
• 1 cup dry quinoa
• 1 cup shelled edamame, cooked
• 2 carrots, sliced and halved
• 4 scallions, thinly sliced
• 1 avoado, diced
• 1 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
• 1/2 cup slivered almonds
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1 lime’s juice and zest
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse quinoa and place in medium saucepan with 1 3/4 cup water.
2. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
3. Combine lemon juice, zest, olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper in a jar or small bowl and mix well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except for quinoa and avocado and toss with lime/spice dressing.
5. Add cooled quinoa and avocado to the mixture and stir well, so that dressing is spread evenily. Use a wooden spoon and be gentle in order not to smash the avocado pieces.
6. Enjoy immediately or store in tupperware in the fridge.